Tuesday, March 10, 2009

my wonderful students

My oldest student in my class is 89.
I teach mosaics at an aged care facility.
I have 3-4 wonderful people in the class, 2 tuesdays a month for 2 hours.
They look forward to the time we have together to create pieces for the garden or for their own use.
They teach me more than I could ever teach them. They inspire me & challenge me with their requests. I feel blest to be able to share their time.
Today I was grouting a part of one piece. It will have to be done in 3 stages, very interesting, I will post a picture when it is complete.
I often have to help a lot with the cutting & grouting. But they will be happy polishing & cleaning the end product to sell at their fete.
Has anyone else got older students?

1 comment:

  1. Dear Sandy,
    What are some of your favorite mosiac websites, or sources of inspiration for your work?
    I'd love to find out more about this world.
    Every time a piece of my favorite teaset broke, I stopped myself from getting too sad by saying "I'll make it into a mosiac one day". Mosiac-making, I imagine, can be a redemptive force in this crazy cracked world : )

    ReplyDelete